Years ago, I laughed when I saw a shirt with Spiritual Gangster on it. I wondered if I was one of them. But, I couldn’t find an alignment with the idea.
I thought, “What am I? Am I a gangster? No! But I am a troublemaker. I’m more like a hooligan. I break the rules. I challenge the status quo. I don’t believe in the dogma or follow the conventions.”
I called Kristen up that day (She lived in Seattle at the time) and I said, “I am a Spiritual Hooligan.” She laughed and said, “Yes you are!”
For the last 7 years, I’ve hosted a mastermind of people who identify themselves as Spiritual Hooligans. So I asked them, how do you know if you are a Spiritual Hooligan? They had a lot to say about it.
I’ve compiled a list below to help you see if you are one of us.
- You seek Enlightened Prosperity.
- You recognize that you are a fringe dweller or an outlier.
- You question everything and don’t follow the spiritual traditions or cultural dogma just because you’re “supposed to.”
- You are extremely curious.
- You seek inner knowing.
- You meditate, contemplate and keep a quiet mind.
- Your intuition is strong.
- You intend to be in the flow.
- You are intentionally non-resistant.
- You are “unoffendable.”
- You know that the rules don’t apply to you.
- You play outside the lines.
- You are devoted to integrity and workability even when it disrupts the status quo.
- You aren’t afraid of destruction and happily blow up anything that doesn’t work in your life. You thrive in chaos.
- You find stability when everyone else is unstable.
- You gracefully create results even when it seems improbable.
- You are satisfied and yet, you are eager for more.
- You decline activities that are done out of guilt or obligation.
- You are unconcerned with impressing anyone.
- You are unconcerned with offending anyone.
- You are committed and completely unattached to the results.
- You trust that all is well.
- Magic happens around you.
- You are in awe and wonder.
- Your presence is experienced as a gift because you don’t play by the rules and you give people the freedom to be themselves.
- You laugh, you giggle, you chuckle and you play all day.
- While others struggle with the drama, you have fun with it.
- You are extremely flexible and can activate new habits, ways of beings, and outlooks…almost at will.
- You have fun releasing lifelong beliefs at the drop of a hat.
- You don’t believe in mass reality because you know how to create your own.
If this speaks to you, then you are a Spiritual Hooligan! We all hang out together in our facebook group. Come play with us https://www.facebook.com/groups/spiritualhooligans
I received this comment on facebook and thought it would help you to see my interaction. She said, “Hooligan googled= a violent young troublemaker typically of a gang —— I’m Not violent not young don’t make trouble don’t belong to any group/gang I guess the answer is no”
My Response – “Thanks for making me clarify this. We think of ourselves and spiritual trouble makers for sure. But certainly not violent. It’s a metaphor for being a spiritual type who can cross all the spiritual platforms and accept everyone as whole complete and perfect.
For most spiritual types, that is very disruptive!! The status quo is to be closed, judgemental, arrogant and convinced that your way is the right way.
Being a Spiritual Hooligan disrupts the status quo with being kind, considerate, non-judgemental and flexible and open to all beliefs.
The ‘hooligan part’ is just a play on words, a metaphor. We aren’t super spiritual whoo whoo types. And we aren’t conventional religious types. We are not for or against anything. We are committed to the recognition that all is well.”