In our purest state, we are happy. Joy flows through us. Life is simple.
Then we ‘grow up.’
Up until recently, the idea of being in an enlightened state AND living a normal life in the western world seemed like opposing ideas.
Not anymore. Enlightenment is not only attainable, it is an incredibly practical way to live with the complexity of modern life.
My definition of enlightenment is simple:
Enlightenment is the recognition that the source of life within you is the source of life for everyone and everything else. We are all one thing expressing itself with infinite variety.
Here are 11 tell-tale signs you are experiencing enlightenment in day-to-day life:
- You are happy because you exist and it is your natural state. Circumstances are no longer the source of your happiness.
- You are at peace with the way things are and eager for whatever is next.
- You have begun to see that people are innately innocent and that their selfish actions are a natural result of survival programming.
- You acknowledge that we are all just doing the best we can in a world that is mysterious and challenging.
- You are inexplicably driven to forgive everyone for everything.
- You take steps to release the illusion that you can control anything.
- You experience the freedom of knowing that your opinion and perspective are not important, valuable, or needed and the world goes on with or without your commentary, opinion, insights, observations, or point of view.
- You are beginning to acknowledge that the world is an expression of your perspective and programs developed through familial, cultural, religious and geographical influences that you had no choice in.
- You are starting to see that the only thing you are against is your perspective about what you are experiencing in the world.
- You start to lose your urgency. Nothing feels very important. You feel compelled to do the things that you enjoy.
- Your stress begins to disappear. When it returns you might find it interesting rather than urgent and distracting.
Would you like to increase your level of enlightenment (yes, there are levels)? Begin to rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 the degree to which you are experiencing these states. Once you do that, you can intentionally shift, remove or eliminate whatever is standing in your way.
I encourage you to print this page and hang it on the refrigerator, or copy this list into a calendar reminder with a daily pop-up on your phone. That way you can measure and monitor the degree to which you are experiencing enlightenment in day-to-day life.