Adopting enlightened perspectives is very practical. It makes life more enjoyable, fun and rewarding.
Many of our views about enlightenment – what it is and how to attain it – are rooted in some very old, and outdated ideas. And it’s those ideas that block you from realizing that you are on a path to enlightenment.
Here’s a cheat sheet of sorts, designed to help you see some of the milestones and benchmarks you may experience along the way.
9 ways to tell if you are on the path to enlightenment
- You start to notice the beauty in all the people around you. Suddenly, you begin to see the infinite variety of peoples shape, size, and color, and conversely how we are all essentially the same
- Everyday things seem brand new, beautiful and fascinating. What was boring and uninteresting is now curious and entertaining.
- You easily become engrossed in conversations with others. You begin losing yourself in their words, their perspective, their movements and their beauty.
- You have increasing moments where time starts to stand still. Living in the present moment become commonplace.
- The ordinary becomes entertaining and delightful. Mundane day-to-day experiences start to make you giggle and smile.
- You have more moments where you are awestruck by nature. You find yourself in admiring the colors in the sky, or the shape of a flower.
- You are no longer bored. Just being and observing are enough to capture your imagination.
- You find yourself more content no matter what is happening. Things that used to annoy or bother you are just a part of the grand scheme of life.
- You are more at ease with the way that everything is. You accept that both seemingly positive and negative things have their place in life.
Here’s my definition of enlightenment:
Enlightenment is the recognition that the source of life within you is the the source of life in everyone and everything else. We are all one thing expressing itself with infinite variety.
As I said that the beginning of this article, adopting enlightened perspectives is very practical. And it is.
When you begin to recognize the source of life within you is the source of life for everyone and everything else, you begin to see the perfection of it all. You begin to become aware of the dynamic nature of your environment, and you begin to accept what you see as part of a bigger whole.